Monday, December 7, 2009

You call that a Christmas song??????

I can NOT believe that I found a Christmas song that I HATE more than the stupid "Christmas Shoe" song. But what I'm still trying to figure out is to WHY this song is considered a Christmas song? I've heard it multiple times on the holiday stations, so I know it wasn't a 1 time fluke. And the winner is..."Dear Mr. Jesus". I have not heard this song before, even though it was recorded in 1985. For those of you who do not know about this little gem, it's about child abuse. And that's related to Christmas how??? I guess because Jesus is in the title. Here are some of the lyrics....

Dear Mr. Jesus, I just had to write to you
Something really scared me, when I saw it on the news
A story 'bout a little girl beaten black and blue
Jesus, thought I'd take this right to you

Dear Mr. Jesus, I don't understand
Why they took her mom and dad away
I know that they don't mean to hit with wild and angry hands...

Please don't let them hurt your children
We need love and shelter from the storm
Please don't let them hurt your children
Won't you keep us safe and warm...

Dear Mr. Jesus, please tell me what to do
And please don't tell my daddy
But my mommy hits me, too.


And YES it is sung by a 9 year old. ARRGGGGG! 'Oh how I dislike children singing. I.E. Billy Gilman. I understand that this song has a place, but on the radio right after "Rudolph..." and before "Jingle Bell Rock", I don't think so. And my favorite part is at the end when a grown man sings back up to the chorus, quite passionately I might add. I think he was channeling Bruce Springsteen's part in "We Are The World". If you are interested in hearing this "Christmas" song you can find it on you tube. But I wouldn't actually watch the videos, just listen to the song.

P.S. I would love to hear your opinions, so feel free to comment.

7 comments:

AMY said...

i think that is so strange. maybe the said event happened around Christmas time or something. or maybe it was written for abuse awareness and they knew that people wouldn't fuss if it was introduced at Christmas time.

another song i heard the other day that is little kids singing is called, happy birthday, Jesus. it is on klove and i don't know if they have it on other stations, but it is pretty annoying even though it is Jesus' birthday and all

Ashley said...

I have heard that one Amy. Happy Birthday Jesus, we're so glad it's Christmas.....

Jodi said...

Speaking of things that infuriate you, I want a post about those blow up things they put outside of car dealerships. Bring it on!

Jan said...

oh, I've got an opinion :) I heard that song too on our satellite holiday channel and I totally agree, agree, agree. The lyrics are depressing. 3 thumbs down, if that is possible :(

Kelli said...

Jan, it's possible. To add with that a Big NO DEAL!!!

Mandy said...

I too hate Christmas Shoes! I have not even dared admit it because I thought people would judge me for hated a song about a sick lady, but as soon as it comes on I dart for the dial and change it asap.
Dear Mr. Jesus now takes the cake. Love the title, love the lyrics, so much horrible Chrismas spirit balled into one! Thank you so much for sharing!

Sarah said...

I have never felt more connected to you :) I haven't heard this little beauty so I can't say much, but I will keep my ears open. However, "Mr." Jesus??? Who has ever called Jesus that? I've never heard any kids say that. I am really glad another song has replaced "Christmas shoes." Christmas shoes has been reining for too long on the, worst Christmas song ever, list.